What is Oligospermia?
Oligospermia is also called low sperm count condition. This means that the fluid you ejaculate during an orgasm contains very few sperms. If the sperm count is completely zero then it is called azoospermia. If the sperm count is less than 15 million sperm per milliliter of semen than it is considered very low. Due to this, it decreases the chances of fertilizing the egg which affects the pregnancy. This gives rise to the problem of male infertility.
Causes of Oligospermia
- Infection: Sometimes an infection can also affect sperm production or it can even block the passage of the sperm. Some sexually transmitted infection which includes HIV or gonorrhea can also affect the sperm.
- Varicocele: There might be swelling in the veins that affect the testicles and it is referred to as Varicocele. This is the most common cause of infertility as it results in decreasing the quality of the sperm.
- Antibiotics: Taking medications for a long time can also result in decreasing the sperm movement. In some cases, it starts attacking the body’s own immune system.
- Hormonal imbalance: If there is some type of hormonal imbalance then the sperm won’t be produced correctly. So, if you are facing the problem then you should visit the doctor for infertility treatment as soon as possible.
- Other factors: Some environmental factors can also hamper sperm production such as X-rays, exposure to heavy metals and industrial chemicals that can make the situation worse.
How It Affects Fertility?
Men who are suffering from the Oligospermia can make their partner conceive in spite of lower sperm count. However, it might affect the fertilization process and it will become slow. You might have to do several attempts as compared to the fertile couple. So, there is not need to lose hope.
On the other hand, some men will face no problem during conception whether they have no low sperm count. The most common issue in Oligospermia is that it increases the risk of other fertility issues and the most common problem is sperm motility. This means how active the sperms are or what is the movement of the sperm. If the sperm is moving properly then it means the sperm will reach the ovaries on time and it will fertilize the egg also. However, if the sperm does not move properly then it won’t reach the egg. It could also happen that the sperm moves in the wrong pattern. Due to this, it prevents them from reaching the egg.