GIFT : Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer
Following the various innovative practices in the ART sphere, GIFT is another treatment procedure that opens a door to motherhood and parenting. This highly considerable treatment procedure requires the retrieval of a woman’s eggs from the ovaries, mixing them with the sperms and immediately transferring the mixture into the Fallopian tubes for fertilization.
Unlike other ART practices, GIFT facilitates inside fertilization rather than laboratory fertilization.
Possessing normal or functioning Fallopian tubes is the vital or a supreme factor for GIFT treatment in India. Apart from that, couples in the below categories can opt for GIFT treatment;
- Failed IVF treatment cycles
- Unexplained infertility
- Male infertility. i.e. Low sperm count
- Lack of desire for IVF
The GIFT Procedure
- After showing interest in GIFT treatment, the fertility expert will examine you and an X-ray will be taken to determine the health status of your Fallopian tubes. In other cases, there must at least be one healthy Fallopian tube for the procedure to be conducted. A laparoscopy will be performed to check the Fallopian tubes or determine the presence of scar tissue on the outside wall.
- After having fertility drugs or natural ovulation, the eggs will be retrieved through a laparoscopic surgery and your male partner will provide sperms on the same day in case donor sperms aren’t necessary.
- After mixing the eggs and the sperms, they will be transferred back into the woman’s body via her vagina with the help of a catheter.
- The woman is then put on medications that help to build the uterine lining to facilitate implantation.
Advantages of GIFT Treatment
- The GIFT procedure provides a belief of natural conception with the fact that fertilization takes place inside the body of a woman than in the laboratory dish.
- It is much more affordable than IVF and with that, a couple can easily foot the GIFT treatment cost in India than other ART treatments.
- It is a convenient procedure since it requires no hospitalization or extensive fertility workout.